Saturday, March 6, 2010

Stu the Soccer Ball’s Lament

I’m Stu, the school’s last soccer ball. The others got away.
They rolled right off the soccer field at 2 o’clock today.

They grew so sick of being kicked, they wanted to be free.
I tried my best to follow them ~ I hollered, “Wait for me!”

The wind was blowing fiercely and it took me for a ride.
I came quite close to catching up when, suddenly, it died.

I slowly rolled then came to rest, just like a sitting duck,
On Highway One and then got run right over by a truck!

The soccer coach was angry when she scraped me off the street.
Oh, how I wish I were a Nerf, just like my cousin Pete.

She tossed me in the trash can (I don’t like it here at all).
I sit here sulking sadly with the school’s last volleyball.


by donna lee murphy and carolyn lueders burica
Copyright 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment